Position: Executive Director, Institute for What Works to Advance Gender Equality (IWWAGE)
Assignment Length: Full-time position
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
We are seeking a motivated Executive Director to lead the Institute for What Works to Advance Gender Equality (IWWAGE). The objective of this Initiative is to create a platform to promote, synthesize and generate evidence on “what works” to advance gender equality. Despite making significant contributions to economies through various activities, women form a majority among economically disadvantaged groups. Women remain disproportionately affected by poverty, discrimination and exploitation. Evidence suggests that investing in women’s empowerment has important linkages with gender, equality, poverty eradication and inclusive growth. Several efforts have been devoted to studying the issue of women’s empowerment, however, evidence remains fragmented and work is done in silos.
About the Position:
This role combines the passion for creating impact with strong leadership abilities and a collaborative approach to gather, synthesize and generate evidence on women’s empowerment and presents an exciting opportunity to move the needle on women’s empowerment. The chosen candidate will lead and/or coordinate all impact evaluation activities of the initiative including planning, designing and organizing evaluations and synthesizing research studies, with support from a team of researchers.
The Executive Director will play an instrumental role in ensuring the successful implementation of the Initiative’s three key strategic goals:(i) Creating a go-to Center of Excellence on Gender; (ii) High-quality research and evaluation institute on gender with implementation research and (iii) Building the Institute as an important policy and program design think tank for both public and private sector players. The Executive Director will oversee policy and advocacy activities, encompassing active dissemination of the research findings through publications, research communications and national and international meetings.
- Overall responsibility for developing and implementing IWWAGE’s vision, mission and strategy;
- As a key spokesperson of the institution, lead efforts to enhance IWWAGE’s visibility in the domestic and international spheres and strengthen the brand image of the Institute as a go-to think tank and resource center for gender;
- Ensure that the institution’s program of work aligns with policy priorities at state/national levels;
- Provide strong and supportive leadership to the IWWAGE team and its collaborators, as well as foster a culture of excellence, collaboration, trust, integrity and innovation;
- Identify opportunities to collaborate with international networks of donor agencies and build a pipeline of funding from domestic and international funders and be a major contributor to fundraising activities;
- Hire, manage and retain exceptional staff; motivate the team to deliver high quality results and exceed expectations.
- Minimum 15 years of demonstrated experience in leadership roles in public policy/gender equality/development practice;
- Demonstrable experience in supporting the capture and recording of impact from research projects;
- Significant experience in establishing strong relationships with external partners such as Government, Industry, NGOs, Think tanks and multilateral donor organizations;
- Excellent communicator, both written and oral, able to express complex technical issues in plain language;
- Demonstrated ability to lead the team and a strong understanding of the entire research project development and research management cycle;
- Excellent relationship management skills at an executive level.
Deadline: Applications are being accepted until the position is filled. Please collate your resume and cover letter and send it to [email protected].
Note: We are an equal opportunity employer and all candidates will be considered for employment. However, due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each candidate individually regarding the status of their application. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purposes.